Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Deadbeat fathers

If there's one thing I hate most, it's deadbeat fathers! I am disgusted by the amount of men in today's society who couldn't be bothered when it comes to their own kids. Don't get me wrong there's a fair amount of deadbeat mothers too, so don't think I'm so naive not to realise that.

Speaking, unfortunately, from personal experience, some men seriously couldn't case less about the little people they helped create. I'm specifically talking about the kind of men who won't look at their kids when they pass them in the street, the men that can't be bothered paying all of their child support let alone paying it on time. Then there's the father's that have never once laid eyes on their kids. These men are nothing but a huge waste of space!!

Both of my kids fathers fall into the deadbeat dad category.*sigh*

Kailee's father was happy to stick around for 6mths of his daughter's life pretending to care, only because he thought doing so would lead to me taking his sorry ass back. When I made it clear there was no getting back together, he never saw her again. Nearly 5 and a half years later, he's since had a few more kids, two of which he plays the doting dad over. Though Kailee gets sad he doesn't visit or call, she's grown into a wonderful little girl and isn't lacking anything in life, least of all love!

Xavier's father was the kind of guy that knows all the right things to say. After a year of being together he said he wanted to start trying for a baby together. He threw my contraceptive pill in the bin n we began trying to get pregnant. I was sceptical at first since he had been sure he didn't want anymore kids (he already had 2) but he insisted he was serious. After nearly 5mths of trying, he told me he was moving out. 3 days later he called the relationship off. The following week I found out I was 4wks pregnant.

From the get go he told me it wasn't what he wanted, it was all wrong. He rarely visited or spoke about the pregnancy and when I was 10wks pregnant he stopped visiting, by 12wks he told me he wanted nothing to do with me or my child. I was left to buy everything from scratch on my own. Not a single cent he's paid towards the car seat, cot, highchair, pram, clothes - anything our son has needed.

Whilst living in the same town as each other, not once has he met his son. As many times as I've contacted him giving him the opportunity he's always denied wanting to see his son. I did what I felt was the right thing and emailed him photos of his son to which he replied that he didn't want me to send any photos or contact him about his son. He hoped I'd find a man to be my son's dad as he couldn't (wouldn't!). He was open to his son finding him in 18+yrs though if Xavier wanted to know who his father was.

How shallow can some parents be? I hate hearing about mother's that stop men seeing their kids so I've always made sure to leave the door open for there 2 guys to one day see their own flesh n blood. It's purely their choice that they don't want to. In the end its only themselves missing out on their children's lives n the kids they are hurting!

Quite simply though, my children don't miss out on anything. They have all the love they need, a safe place to sleep, clean clothes to year, food to eat n a wonderful family that would do anythjmg for them. So the absence of someone in their lives that couldn't really offer them much anyway isn't really a great loss. If these father's can't see how special their beautiful kids are, they don't deserve to be in their lives. Simple.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

1 comment:

  1. What a well thought out post. It makes my head hurt that some parents (I know a guy who's ex ran out of the hospital when her baby was 2 hours old) just can't be bothered. Like you, I made life pretty easy for the girls biological father, and hid my hurt and anger when I had a very, very sad little girl who's Father had missed visitation. Again.

    Now that I have moved on with life he plays the victim card, accusing me of "pushing him out" yet he still fails to come to vistation (in our case 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month from 9am-5pm).

    Ugh I highjacked your post gorgeous!

    Just know that I am so proud of you, and even prouder to be your friend. You are doing such an awesome job and are an inspiration to everyone who is blessed enough to know you.

    <3
    Kate, Vani and Tahli

    ReplyDelete