Sunday, November 7, 2010

The start of a Barbie obsession

I've managed to avoid it for nearly 6 year, but today the inevitable happened - I bought Kailee a Barbie doll. As a young girl I had the most intense Barbie obsession. Every gift I received you could just about guarantee was another Barbie doll, Barbie accessory or Barbie prop (car, horse, house etc). I've spent the first 5 and a half years of my daughter's life trying to avoid starting her own collection of this overpriced, unrealistic doll.

Today though, I gave in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against my daughter having Barbie's as my mother had already bought her a couple, I just hadn't bought her any. Looking at all the different Barbie's - black, white; male, female; blonde, brunette; they were very much the same. The accessories were much the same as when I was a little girl though now they all did something fancy by lighting up, making sounds or moving in some manner.

Christmas this year will be a test to see if she continues to ask for more Barbie dolls and all the extras you can purchase as well. Just as long as we don't spend our weekends washing each doll's hair n dressing them all to make sure they're all there. This is one obsession I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on. Her body shape is all wrong anyway, but that's another post.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

2 comments:

  1. I tried to avoid them to with my daughter until this past yr ugh, i was obsessed too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the age for it, Silvagna has just hit Barbie-world in this house as well, and dragged Tahli along for the ride as well!!!

    I had brought them a few but they remained pretty much left alone, now as I type my house is bound to have a doll in almost every room (I even fished Barbie dress from out behind the toilet... yuck!)

    ~ Kate

    ReplyDelete